The university works to constantly increase access to environmentally friendly alternatives of commonly used supplies.
University Purchasing in the Office of Business and Finance continuously integrates environmental, social and economic goals into its business processes. Stores is committed to inclusion of environmentally friendly products and supplier diversity in preferred supplier contracts and works with departments to increase visibility of these agreements. By leveraging the university’s buying power, Purchasing is able to acquire many products with environmentally friendly alternatives. University departments can browse preferred supplier agreements in Buckeye Buy and look for the “green” label.
Additional accomplishments and initiatives
- Wexner Medical Center has developed sustainable procurement guidelines and increased the percentage of the supplies budget used for environmentally preferred products to 72% from 2%.
- The Surplus Department is responsible for the disposition of Ohio State property in accordance with university policy. Efforts are made to sell or recycle all surplus items whenever possible. The department offers the university community services including a warehouse for department transfer, public sale and public auction as alternatives to discarding items such as office and classroom furniture and equipment.
- All standard configured computers purchased from the university's Prime Computer Supplier agreement meet current Energy Star 5.0 rating.
- Ditch the plastic; use reusable drinking containers.
- Select pump sprays rather than aerosols.
- Use recyclable packaging.
- Patronize vendors who use biodegradable packaging.