Exploratory Research Groups
Exploratory Research Groups (ERGs) are designed to support early-stage, exploratory research and creative expression on a range of faculty-determined topics. The Sustainability Institute (SI), in collaboration with other units and programs on campus, aims to support researchers from across the university in growing collaborative, interdisciplinary teams focused on sustainability or resilience topics. SI is committed to supporting ERGs through ongoing partnership, including support through networking, in-kind services, and limited financial resources as possible, to best address the unique challenges and opportunities of each group. The overall intent of ERGs are to:
- Help build connections and community across researchers with similar interests.
- Support and grow ongoing interactions of interdisciplinary groups faculty and researchers that may also include students or external partners.
- Provide a means for faculty or research staff that are new to the university to meet their community of similarly interested scholars.
- Grow the capacity of interdisciplinary teams to compete for larger grants and awards.
- Provide opportunities for mentorship, leadership and professional development for junior faculty and researchers.
Below is a list of the ERGs that are currently launching. Each group's page features details on the group's intended activities and goals, as well as information on when the group meets and how to get involved. Each group has an identified leader (or co-leaders) who can provide more details if you have questions about a specific ERG. For more information on the ERG initiative, contact Courtney Price at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Biodiversity Conservation & Sustainability
- Climate and Societal Impacts of Transportation Technologies
- Emerging Pollutants
- Framework for a Sustainable and Circular Campus
- Grid of the Future: Renewables and Storage
- Healthy Buildings
- Intentional Sustainability Community
- Race and Sustainability (in collaboration with the Kirwan Institute)
- Resilient Infrastructure
- Speculative Eco Futures
- Sustainable Finance
- Urban Rivers
While there is not currently an open call for new ERGs, we welcome your ideas and feedback. If you know of a topic that would make a great ERG that you would like to be a part of, we'd love to hear your ideas. Submit your ideas via this Qualtrics form.