The university’s fleet includes 928 vehicles that use more than 639,000 gallons of fuel each year. CABS vehicles represent just over 46% of the fleet’s total annual fuel use.
To reduce the fleet’s carbon footprint, the university has replaced 145, or 15%, of its combustion fuel vehicles with others including compressed natural gas, electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles. The university is working to eliminate the number of under-utilized vehicles and install electric vehicle stations on the Columbus and regional campuses for fleet and community use. In addition to the Columbus campus, EV charging stations have been installed at Lima, Marion, Newark and Wooster campuses, all of which are connected on the ChargePoint network to allow seamless operation between campuses.
Additional accomplishments and initiatives
- In 2016, Ohio State installed a compressed natural gas fuel station — the first of its kind for an Ohio university — for university and City of Columbus fleet vehicle fueling. Long-term plans are to transition all CABS buses to CNG.
- Ohio State partnered with Clean Fuels Ohio to analyze its fleet and is collaborating with the City of Columbus and community partners on the $140 million Smart City program to transform Central Ohio into the nation’s premier transportation innovation region — making transportation safer, easier and more efficient and reliable.
- 25 of 47 CABS transit buses have been transitioned to compressed natural gas.
- $500,000 in funding for departments at the Columbus and regional campuses resulted in the purchase of 31 alternative fuel fleet vehicles.
- New policies and procedures ensure that university vehicles and equipment are operated and maintained in a manner that minimizes air pollution, maximizes fuel efficiency and reduces wear to the vehicle.
- New bike and scooter ride-sharing agreements help the university community commute more sustainably.
Fleet Footprint Baseline (2016):
1.279 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year/thousand miles traveled
Fleet Footprint Performance (2020):
1.476 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year/thousand miles traveled
Fleet Footprint Goal (2025):
1.023 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year/thousand miles traveled
Fleet Footprint (To Date):
- Take a CABS or COTA bus.
- Use an online carpool service.
- Join a bikeshare program or buy a bike.
- Take a walk.
Electric charging stations available for university community use at Ohio State’s Columbus campus
Buckeye Bike Hub, which offers bicycle repair and cycling supplies as well as educational clinics about bike maintenance, cycling skills and bike safety for Ohio State students, faculty and staff